Going through a divorce or separation is inherently a tough process both logistically, and emotionally. Our job at Russell Alexander Family Lawyers is to ensure you go through this process with guidance and ease.
The information below provides a simplified look at what the divorce or separation process consists of in Ontario, as well as answers to some common questions, grouped by topics / themes.
The Legal Validity of Marriage
- If Marriage Wasn’t “Legal” Can Court Grant a Divorce?
- Foreign Same-Sex Couples Eligible for Divorce in Canada?
- Same-Sex Divorce in Canada
- Spouse with Fake Identity
- Religious Marriage Still Valid Without a License?
- Religious Wedding Has 1,000 Guests But No License
- 150K Payment Dependent on Fake Divorce Certificate
Representing Yourself In An Ontario Family Law Matter
- Potential Hurdles When Self-Representing in Family Law
- Can A Family Member Represent Me In Court? What If They Are A Suspended Former Lawyer?
- The Wrong Way To Handle Your Family Law Matter
- Courtroom Conduct: Things Self-Represented Litigants Should Know
- Conducting A Trial: Things Self-Represented Litigants Should Know
- Evidence at Trials: Things Self-Represented Litigants Should Know
Working with Your Divorce Lawyer
- Defining the Role of Your Lawyer
- Client-Solicitor Relationships: Honesty Is A Two-Way Street
- How to Turn A Winning Family Law Case Into A Losing Case
- Ontario Family Law: What Is A Retainer Agreement?
- Top 5 Ways to Keep Divorce Costs Down
- Confidentiality and Family Law Disclosure: The Broad Scope
- 5 Ways to Make a Separation Agreement
- 4 Ways to Amend a Separation Agreement
- The Dangers of Do-It-Yourself Agreements
- Separation Agreements Can Get Rolled into A Court Order
- Arbitration Clauses in Separation Agreements
- What Duties do Spouses Have Towards Each Other When Negotiating?
- Conditions & Case Law: How long?; Agreement vs. outline; Adding matters; Father loses work; Disclosing an Affair
- How Not to Behave After Separation
- Snooping on Spouse’s Email? Read This First!
- Post-Separation Debts – Should the Ex-Spouse Have to Pay?
- Wife’s Pleadings Struck in Light of Continuing Contempt of Court
- What do Courts do About Broken Promises?
- Post-Separation Severance Pay
- Wife Misses Deadline for Claiming Equalization
- Delaying Wife in State of ‘Blameless Ignorance’
Alternative Dispute Resolution in Family Law
- Different Forms of ADR: Mediation, Arbitration and Collaborative Divorce
- Top 5 Thing to Know About Family Arbitration
- Importance of Professional Legal Advice
- Real Life Examples